Dental decay is the most prevalent problem suffered by all age groups globally. Thankfully, they can be treated through regular dental fillings. But, if the decay or the damage is extensive, involving a larger area of your tooth structure, these routine filings may not help. This is when your dentist would consider inlay restorations.
Maryville, TN dental services offer specially designed inlay fillings that are customized according to your individual needs.
What is a porcelain inlay?
A porcelain inlay is a type of tooth-colored dental restoration that is fabricated indirectly using a model of your teeth instead of filling your cavity directly. Porcelain inlays are excellent alternatives to conventional silver and composite fillings. This is because inlays preserve your natural tooth structure and do not involve much tooth preparation.
When is a porcelain inlay recommended?
A porcelain inlay is usually recommended for the following conditions:
- Broken or fractured teeth that do not affect the cusps of your teeth
- Cosmetic rejuvenation of the tooth
- Severely decayed teeth
- Fractured restorations
- Large fillings
What does getting a porcelain inlay involve?
Fabricating a porcelain inlay generally requires two visits due to the extra lab work involved.
- Your affected tooth is prepared by removing the caries and cleaning it thoroughly
- Your dentist will shape the surface of your tooth accordingly to ensure the inlay fits the tooth
- Several highly accurate impressions of your teeth are recorded and sent to the lab
- Meanwhile, your dentist will provide a temporary filling to protect your prepared tooth from reinfection
- Your new inlay will be carefully and precisely cemented into your tooth
- Your dentist will make necessary adjustments so that the inlay fits the tooth well and your bite is comfortable
Benefits of a porcelain inlay
Porcelain inlay offers the following advantages:
- Blend with your natural tooth shade
- Are stain-resistant
- Spare you from root canal therapy and dental crowns
- Conservative approach since your natural tooth structure is preserved
- Provides additional strength to your teeth to withstand the masticatory forces and pressure
- Cost-effective restoration
- Durable and long-lasting
- Can effectively restore a failed dental filling
Porcelain inlays are valuable restorative procedures. Getting it may be the best choice of treatment for you because of the material’s strength and durability, in addition to a longer lifespan for your teeth.
Good oral habits such as brushing and flossing twice daily and regular dental visits at least once every 6 months are the key factors in increasing the longevity of the porcelain inlays. This enables you to bring confidence back to your smile.